Additional Educational Opportunities
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- TeamSTEPPS - TeamSTEPPS® is an evidence-based approach to improve communication and teamwork among health care teams. TeamSTEPPS Master Trainers serve within their institutions to help prepare for, implement and champion the TeamSTEPPS teamwork approach. Those interested in learning more about TeamSTEPPS are encouraged to register for TeamSTEPPS online learning. Participants in the group-paced cohort have four months to complete 11 modules, watch three webinars and conduct a virtual “teach-back” session. Upon completion of all course activities, participants are certified as TeamSTEPPS Master Trainers. AHRQ’s subject matter experts are available throughout the course to assist participants with questions and challenges regarding implementation of teamwork initiatives in health care. Options are also available to take the entire TeamSTEPPS Master Training curriculum at a self-paced rate or to take individual parts of the TeamSTEPPS curriculum without becoming a Master Trainer.
- Resources for Primary Care Practices - AHRQ offers continuing education (CE) and continuing medical education (CME) videos and articles on a range of health care topics including patient safety and patient-centered outcomes research findings. The CE/CME activities summarize reviews of evidence on the effectiveness and safety of treatments and strategies for improving patient care. Some of the available topics include:
- Menopausal Symptoms: Comparative Effectiveness of Therapies
- Pharmacotherapy for Adults with Alcohol-Use Disorders in Outpatient Setting
- Treatment Strategies for Patients with Peripheral Artery Disease
- Child Obesity Prevention Programs: Comparative Effectiveness
- Treating Insomnia in Adults
These resources provide health care providers with skills and information to support individual decision making and patient management. The activities are available at no cost for CE/CME.
American Kidney Fund
The AKF provides continuing education through online courses which cover a wide range of topics related to advances in kidney disease and treatment, adherence issues, the ESRD payment system, and other topics. Courses are free for most professionals.
American Nephrology Nurses' Association Education Opportunities
Includes information on upcoming national meetings, chapter/regional offerings, audio conferences, and recognition and awareness week events.
*FREE*FEMA Emergency Management Institute
Federal Emergency Management Agency's site for continuing education.
*FREE*Medscape Continuing Education Opportunities
Medscape provides thousands of accredited courses across a wide range of topics and makes it as easy as possible to complete CE credits for licensure.
National Kidney Disease Education Program
Provides an online Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) Nutrition Management Training Program. CE credits available.
National Kidney Foundation Online CME/CE Activities
Nephrology Oral History Project
A series of educational courses/webinars aimed to increase public awareness of diabetes and better educate patients about its complications with the tools provided in the free series.
Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
The Nephrology Oral History Project seeks to document renal-related healthcare from the 1950s to the present through recorded interviews with sentinel nephrologists and nephrology-related individuals. These oral histories focus on the development and innovations of early dialysis therapy and the impact dialysis has had on the care of patients and the practice of nephrology.
North American Center for Continuing Medical Education (NACCME)
NACCME develops and disseminates live, print and web-based CME/CE activities for healthcare practitioners, including physicians, physician assistants, nurses, dietitians, and other allied healthcare professionals.
*FREE*Nurse.com: It's Time to Start Stopping Diabetes - Education Series
Available courses for patient safety education and other key topics. Courses offer opportunities for nursing CEUs.
Need additional CEUs for nurses or technicians? Earn them online!
Earn nearly 20 hours
of continuing education credits on a variety of topics including infection control, sharps safety, fluid waste management, and much more online through Renal Business Today
's sister publication EndoNurse
*NEW* Wilkes University Passan School of Nursing - Online List of Nursing Conferences
A comprehensive list of nursing conferences in the United States, updated annually. The conferences are represented by nursing specialty and month. Nursing Conferences can be a great source of education as well as a networking opportunity for current and prospective nurses.
Page last updated: 7/27/2016